Topic outline

  • Welcome to the CHS Counseling Department

    School Counselors are here to support students in the three domains of counseling: Academic, College & Career, and Personal/Social. Each Carmel High student is fortunate to be assigned 2 counselors who will remain that students counselor all 4 years. Academic Counselors are responsible for both the Academic (schedule changes, graduation status, progress monitoring, classroom support, etc.) and Personal/Social. College Counselors are responsible for assisting students in both the college search and application process, career and major exploration, and ensuring students leave Carmel High fully-prepared for their post-secondary pursuits, from enrolling in vocational education certificate programs to attending highly-selective universities. Additionally, Carmel High is fortunate to offer student support services through our additional Support Counselor Ms. Lauren Capano (LCSW).

    Jeff Rogers             Academic Counselor (9th & 12th)                                

    Yesel Von Ruden  Academic Counselor (10th &  11th)                        

    Lauren Capano      Student Support Counselor (All Grades)                

    Darren Johnston   College & Career Counselor (All Grades)           

    Patricia Hunt         College & Career Coordinator                                                                   

    Linda Galuppo       Registrar & Counseling Secretary                          

  • Questions/Concerns Regarding Student's Grade(s) or a Particular Course

    STEP 1: Remember that you should be using AERIES regularly to monitor your student's academic progress and attendance. 
    STEP 2: Talk to your student first.
    STEP 3: Encourage your student to resolve the issue/concern. In the world of constant digital communication, it is important that every generation of students learn how to solve problems face-to-face, and without their parents. Our goal is to ensure students graduate with strong self-advocacy skills -- the kind that will help them find success in college or in the workforce. It is the development of these skills that translate to stronger college admissions interviews, more natural conversations with college reps, and stronger job interviews.
    STEP 4: Should you decide to get involved, contact the teacher directly. Our teachers appreciate having conversations before the concern moves to a counselor or administrator. Teachers often present parents/guardians with a different perspective (and sometimes a different story entirely) than what your student may have share
    Step 5: If your question or concern is not resolved, the most effective way to contact your student's counselor is via their email address (access links above in red). You can also contact the counselors through their voicemail but generally, counselors do not check their voicemail messages until the end of the day. Counselors will attempt to return your call within 24 hours. 
    DROP - IN: Students without an appointment may only meet their counselor before school, during break or lunch, and after school. This method is best if you have a minor question or concern that can be addressed quickly.  Students should not drop-in during class time unless they need immediate attention. 
    APPOINTMENTS: If students would like to meet with their Academic Counselor during class time, they must write their name on the sign-up sheet on their counselor's door or contact Mrs. Galuppo in the counseling office. Your counselor will send a pass from you as soon as they become available. 
    WALK IN ANYTIME: This method is ONLY for students who have a concern that needs immediate attention. A student who need immediate attention should report directly to their counselor or Ms. Capano.
    EMAIL: at the addresses listed. This method saves you from missing valuable instruction in class, waiting in line, and will generally provide the quickest response to your questions.
  • Questions/Concerns Regarding Student’s Academic Progress and/or Graduation Status

    The best way for parents to stay informed is to:
    A. Attend our parent-information nights
    B. Set up an appointment with your student's Academic or College Counselor.
    C. Encourage your student to reach out to their Academic or College Counselor
    D. See if your student has the answer already -- they're pretty savvy.
  • Course Catalog

  • Scheduling Policies

    Changing, Adding, and Dropping Courses

    CHS Counselors and Administrators have dedicated significant efforts to ensure students are enrolled in the most appropriate courses upon consideration of the student’s post-secondary goals. Prior to selecting their courses, each student has met with a teacher from each academic discipline to discuss individual course recommendations. Additionally, counselors have given classroom presentations detailing both graduation requirements and college admissions requirements/expectations to assist students in selecting the most appropriate schedules based on their individual pursuits. Finally, counselors meet one-on-one with each student to review their course selection. Significant Master Schedule and Staffing decisions have been made based on Spring course selection of CHS students. Therefore, our policy regarding the changing, adding, and dropping of courses is as follows:

    Dropping Courses

    There will be no schedule changes during the first 3 days of school. Only students with missing period(s) or a SEE COUNSELOR notice on their schedule will be able to meet with a counselor to change their schedules. Under no circumstance will counselors change schedules based on teacher requests.


    During the first 10 days of school students may request class changes for special circumstances only. Exceptions and special circumstances must be recommended by a counselor and approved by administration. Students interested in making changes during the first 10 days of school should request a meeting with their counselor. If the change is possible, counselors will contact students as soon as possible. Students are expected to continue attending their original classes until their counselor notifies them of a change. After the 10 day period, students are required to stay in the class(es) for the remainder of the semester.


    Dropping a course after the first 10 days


    WITHDRAW (W) – Students dropping a course after the 11th day through the first 6 weeks of instruction will earn a W (withdraw) on their transcript. A Withdraw does not affect a student’s GPA. Only students who demonstrate an extenuating circumstance will be able to drop a course and earn a W. When moving from one class to another, the current grade will carry into the new class.

    WITHDRAW/FAIL (W/F) - Students dropping after the 6th week of instruction will earn a Withdraw/Fail (W/F) on their transcript. A Withdraw/Fail affects the GPA the same as an F and will make students ineligible to compete in athletics.

    Adding Courses

    Courses may be added after the initial scheduling process under the following conditions:

    • During the designated scheduling days, a student may add a class if space is available.
    • Select courses may be added after the designated scheduling days only with recommendation of a counselor and approval by administration.

    Academic Waiver Process

    Students may request a waiver when he/she desires to enroll in a course for which he/she is not recommended. See your counselor to apply for a waiver.

    Important Grading Information

    *AR 5121: An Incomplete is given only when a student’s work is not finished because of illness or other excused absence. If not made up within six weeks, the incomplete shall become an “F”.

    1. Clearing Incompletes for students seeking athletic eligibility - Students receiving an "Incomplete" as a semester grade, have 10 school days to make up the work. If, after 10 school days, the student does not receive a passing grade that replaces the Incomplete, the student remains ineligible for athletics. Pending replacement of the Incomplete grade - the student may be allowed to practice but will not be allowed to compete.
    1. Clearing Incompletes for students not seeking athletic eligibility – If, after 6 weeks, the work is not made up, the Incomplete automatically becomes an “F”.
    1. Grades and Credits for Repeated Courses - If a student repeats a course after earning a “D” or “F”, the credits for the first course will be eliminated. The grade, however, will remain on the transcript but will not factor into the GPA.

    Returning from Independent Study/Home Schooling

    Students returning from Independent Study or home schooling must complete the second semester of their senior year as full time students at Carmel High School in order to participate in the Carmel High School Graduation Ceremony.

     Courses Taken Outside of CHS

    Students may supplement their high school experience by taking additional courses at MPC or additional universities. CHS may grant up to 10 credits (un-weighted) per year for high school credit (3 college units = 10 high school credits). To sign up for an MPC course, please visit the MPC website to download the necessary forms.

    Students may only apply 10 credits of Cyber High (summer school) to their total graduation credits during the course of their entire high school career. Please note – Cyber High credits can only be used to replace a course in which a student earned a “D” or “F” grade.

    To receive CHS credit, the non-CHS course must meet the following criteria:

    1. The course must be approved by a CHS counselor and administration prior to the student enrolling in the class.
    2. The course taken must be one that is not offered at Carmel High School. A remedial course taken to replace an “F” or “D” on the transcript is an exception. In this case, the student has the option to re-take the class at CHS or in summer school. If a student wishes to take a course for advancement, they must have counselor and administrative approval.
    3. Online courses will not be accepted by CHS - with the exception of programs offered through CUSD or pre-approved by administration.


    Awarding Credit to Students for International Academic Credits

     Carmel High School (CHS) students must inform their counselor of any intent to temporarily attend a high school outside of the United States prior to enrolling in a foreign high school or exchange program if they expect to receive credit on their CHS transcript upon their return.

    CHS may award credit for work done at other educational and cultural institutions. The decision to award transfer credit for work done at educational institutions other than United States registered high schools shall be based on whether the record indicates that the work is consistent with CHS commensurate learning standards and is of comparable scope and quality to that which would have been done at CHS.

    Students, and their families, should understand that courses and marks will appear on their CHS transcript exactly as they appear on the official secondary record issued by the foreign educational institution. CHS will not, however, indicate any foreign issued grades on the transcript, regardless of interpretation; courses will only be awarded “Credit” or “No Credit” using Evaluating Foreign Transcripts: The A-Z Manual (2006). New York City Department of Education.

  • Course Selection Calendar

    Pre-Registration Timeline


    • CHS teacher conversations with students
    • CHS student Elective Fair & VAPA Show
    • 8th Grade Parent Night (CHS Theatre)
    • AP/Honors Parent Night (CHS Theatre)
    • Counselor pre-registration presentations & student course selection


    • CHS Academic Counselor meetings with 8th grade students (CMS Library)


    • CHS Academic Counselor individual meetings with 9th-11th grade students


    • Deadline to submit final requests for a schedule change for the following school year is the last day of the 2017-2018 school year*.

    *Considerable effort has gone into developing the scheduling process and timeline to ensure students make informed and conscientious decisions when selecting their courses. Because significant master schedule and staffing decisions are made based on student course requests, it’s important for students and parent(s)/guardian(s) to understand that starting with the 2018-2019 school year, only students with extenuating circumstances, incomplete schedules, or scheduling conflicts will be able to make changes.


  • 4 Year Academic Plan


    4 Year Academic Plan



    D- or better



    C- or better

    UC Approved

    9th Grade

    10th Grade

    11th Grade

    12th Grade


    3.5 years

    (A) HISTORY 

    3.5 years







    4 years


    4 years







    3 years 

    (C) MATH

    3 years 









    2 years



    2 years









    1 year


    1 year








    1 year

    (F) VAPA

    1 year







    60 Credits


    60 Credits








    1 Semester









    1 year







    2 years








    60 hours










    *See page 2 for additional information

    Goals: 4 year college ______ 2 year college ______ Other ______


  • Mental Health

    In order to best serve the needs of our students, we believe it is important for students and their families to partner with us to determine what school-related stress we can ease. While we cannot eliminate stressors outside of school, we can offer a variety of support classes and recommendations to assist students in living a balanced life. 

    Some of these recommendations and targeted interventions may include;

    • Removing a student from Advanced Placement/Honors courses
    • Adding a math tutorial class 
    • Adding a writing strategies class 
    • Assigning office hours
    • Adding a Strategies for Success class 
    • Adding a study hall class                                    

    If a student attempts these strategies of support and is still struggling, then contact your student’s counselor and we would discuss further options.

  • Student Support Counselor Services

    CHS is fortunate to have a LCSW on site to provide student support, Ms. Lauren Capano.

    Through a multidisciplinary team approach, our student support counselor assists students in managing stress, facilitating skill building (with particular regard to emotional regulation) and assists in stabilization/crisis intervention when students present as distressed. This includes psychoeducation, safety planning, contracting and evaluating as permitted within the school environment. Additionally, our student support counselor provides case management services to students and families.

    While our student support counselor is not permitted to conduct formal therapy within the limits of the school, Ms. Capano implements therapeutic interventions to help students manage symptoms that interfere with academic functioning. 

    All students have access to see Ms. Capano.

  • How to Request a Transcript

    Official transcript request forms are available outside Mrs. Galuppo's, school registrar, office or online here. 

    While students are in high school, transcripts are free. Once a student graduates, the cost is $5.00 per transcript.  Checks or cash are only accepted via mail.  

    Please allow 24-48 hours for processing.


  • General FAQ's

    1.How long do I have to drop a course without penalty?

    Please see the "Scheduling Policies" section of the CHS Course Catalogue, available on the CHS website. 

    2. When should I repeat a course?

    If a student receives a "D" in a course that requires a "C" or better as a prerequisite to advance to the next level (e.g. "C" or better in both semesters of Spanish 1), the semesters must be repeated in summer school, during the school year, or in an approved concurrent program.  Since a "C" is the minimum grade acceptable in college preparatory courses IF going directly to a four year university, a "D" grade in any such course must be repeated in summer school, during the school year, or in an approved concurrent program. 
    3. My student is having difficulties in his/her classes. What should I do?

    1. The first step is to talk to your student. Ask him/her what they think the problem is. Have they been completing and turning in their homework? Is your child understanding the material? What are their test scores like? Have they been attending class? 

    2. The next step is to log in to AERIES where you can access information such as current grades in each class, past/current/upcoming assignments with individual grades for each assignment, and attendance records. Such information can assist you in determining where your student is struggling, ie: homework, test scores, missing assignments, poor attendance, etc.

    If you have forgotten your AERIES password or need to create an account please contact Ann Berry in the front office ( (831.624.1821). 

    3. The next step is to contact the teacher directly and if necessary arrange for a meeting. 

    4. The final step is to contact your student's counselor to discuss additional strategies to assist your student in finding a path to success.

    4. What courses can I take at a community college?

    All required courses for graduation must be completed on the high school site. Students may only take classes at community colleges to retake a class where a grade of a D or F was earned. Students may also choose to enrich their high school curriculum by taking courses at a community college NOT offered at CHS. 

    5. What does a "weighted GPA" mean?

    All of our honors and AP (Advanced Placement) classes, with a grade earned of a "C" or better, are weighted in the high school grade point average.  This means an extra point is added in computing the average. Honors or AP A's receive 5 grade points, B's receive 4, while C's receive 3.  D's and F's are not given any extra grade points. The UC/CSU systems do limit the number of weighted grades taken in 9th and 10th grade that they will count in the college GPA. 

    6. I heard 9th grade classes and grades do not count. Is this true?

    All classes and grades count in high school. All grades are computed into the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA).  The 9-12, overall GPA is used for scholarship qualifying and by many private colleges and universities.  Most UC's and CSU's universities begin calculating a college GPA in 10th grade which has led to confusion on this topic.  It is important to note that even if a college chooses to begin the college GPA in the 10th grade year, they still look carefully at the 9th grade year to ensure that students received a minimum of a "C" grade in any college prep. courses taken in that year.  An insufficient grade in a college prep. course in the 9th grade year (that is not re-taken and passed with a "C" or better) may disqualify a student in attaining admissions to a four year university.  

    7. What does UC/CSU approved classes mean?

    The California public university system has designated which of our classes they will accept as satisfying their "subject requirements" for admission. These subject requirements demonstrate that the student is prepared for the rigors of college work at the UC/CSU campuses.